Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Developing the main character

Brandon Lage

Brandon Lage is a 22-year-old with schizophrenia. Although he has a very serious mental disorder, he is able to live a "successful"  journey by himself... And his best friend. When you first meet him, you think of him as a jerk and just a bad person, but the few people that have got to know Brandon, find that he's a really interesting person with a smart mind and an odd personality. He is at the peek of having a series of good things happening to him, having a steady job, paying rent in time, and having his life in order, but at the same time, he struggles with his own mind as he goes through a mental disorder that he doesn't accept he has. His best friend,  his brother almost all of a sudden disappears, which leaves him with an internal problem though he is emotionally dependent.



Now, the picture you see is my friend Jose. I asked him to please play this role because I think he resembles how Brandon would look like and he doesn't have to do something alternate from his reality. He has this serious and angry face but once you get to know him he's really chill and cool person. The thing is I have to see how can I dress him because I want to base my movie in the late 90s and the early 2000s                                                


A Beautiful Mind

I got inspiration from the character of John Nash in a Beautiful Mind to construct Brandon. Nash is more of a rude and arrogant person and you see him struggle when he's trying to socialize. Since he has schizophrenia it was a great example for me to see how people with this mental disorder are portrayed and see an example of how the sudden changes and thoughts are shaped by the hallucinations that they have.  




Lars and The Real Girl

Also, I want Brandon not to be a character that stands out, but rather to "blend" with the rest of his community. The only thing that sticks out is his odd way to socialize. Like in Lars and The Real Girl, Lars has also a problem meeting new people but he is a personality disorder. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR! My eyes hurt from editing, enjoy <3 Click also here to see my ccr Okay, bye, that's all